Really great to have Dawn Kurtagich, author of last year’s incredibly chilling The Dead House, and the recently released The Creeper Man, to tackle 5-4-3-2-1 today!
FIVE books you’d save from a burning bookcase
This one actually hurts!
1. Ghosts of Heaven, Marcus Sedgwick
2. Daughter of the Forest, Juliet Marillier
3. Vicious, VE Schwab
4. House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
5. Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future, A. S King
FOUR items of swag you’d love to see made (could be for your own book or someone else’s, or a mix)
1. Kell’s actual coat from Victoria Schwab’s A Darker Shade of Magic
2. Tiny little lie trees from Frances Hardinge’s The Lie Tree
3. Transferrable tattoos for Michael Grant’s The Tattooed Heart
4. Actual broken books for my second novel, The Creeper Man (the broken books are what Silla writes her messages in, as well as the hidden codes) … [this might come true..!]
THREE relationships you love reading about
1. Siblings (I especially love sister stories!). I especially liked the sibling relationship in To Kill a Mockingbird, Little Women, and Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
2. Friends (friend stories get me every time). I loved My Name is Mina by David Almond, White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter and more!
3. The self (I love stories where the protagonist is learning about themselves, and how to live with themselves and love themselves (or scare themselves….!) My own books, any A.S King, Any David Levithan, most literary YA! 😀
TWO authors I’d want with me if I were stranded on a desert island
Definitely Kat Ellis, author of Blackfin Sky and Breaker and the forthcoming Purge for a start. She NEVER gets upset. She is beautifully calm, logical and appropriately stoic; she’d be great company and would definitely not get hysterical and want to resort to cannibalism.
Secondly, I’d pick Jennifer Bell, author of The Uncommoners Books (the first, The Crooked Sixpence came out this year!). She is so sweet, calm and genuinely loving that I honestly think all the desert island birds, animals and locals would fall in love with her, make her their queen, and then we’d all be living in a desert island deluxe mansion of coconut wood.
ONE Song that sums up the last novel you wrote perfectly
Stay Alive by Jose Gonzales (The Creeper Man / And The Trees Crept In)